The Nocino benefits are numerous, but most of us are not quite familiar of this interesting beverage. It originates from beautiful sunny Italy and it is basically a green walnut tincture with lots of fragrant and tasty spices. You may find this product in some countries, but it is still not very popular. So, here I will share with you how to make it on your own and what benefits it holds for you.
How to make Nocino at home?
Here is a simple recipe of this wonderful and beneficial aperitif:
- 30 – 40 fresh green walnuts. They need to be gathered between the end
of May and the beginning of June (in the Mediterranean areas). Your goal is to pick them while they are still very small and soft inside. So, better early than late.
- 1 liter of quality high-proof alcohol (vodka, brandy, or any other according to your taste);
- 4 – 5 cloves;
- The zest of a lemon and an orange;
- 1 – 2 cups of brown sugar or a healthier alternative (again, accommodate the quantity with your preferences);
- Spices – vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon – choose the ones you like.
The preparation is very easy, but be careful not to dye your hands with the walnuts. Put rubber gloves and clothes you can spare (just in case 😉 ).
- Cut the walnuts in 4 pieces each.
- Put them in a large glass container with a screw lid.
- Add the other ingredients and pour the alcohol to fully submerse them.
- Seal the jar and put it in a sunny place for 40-60 days.
- Once a week or two, you can shake and turn the container upside down to stir the mixture a little bit.
- After the time is over, open the jar and strain the liquid into another glass container, preferably a bottle. Now the homemade liquor must be stored in a dark and cool place.
The liquor is ready to use, but you can let it mature even more – it won’t spoil. If you want to make this aperitif even healthier you can substitute the sugar with honey or coconut sugar. You can find out more about healthier white sugar substitutes here.
What are the Nocino Benefits?
Since this sweet liquor contains lots of healthy ingredients, it can have many beneficial effects on our bodies. Of course, all liquors must be taken in moderation! As the old saying goes: “The difference between the medicine and the poison is the dosage”. Let’s see what the Nocino benefits are:
- Nocino contains lots of natural Iodine, which is an enormous help for people with hypothyroidism (low secretion of thyroid hormones). Unfortunately this condition is quite common nowadays. So, it won’t hurt to take some prevention tests to see how your thyroid is doing. 😉
- Stimulates and helps the work of the liver (if we do not exceed the dosages);
- Nocino stimulates the brain activity, supports the lungs, the digestive tract, the excretory and the urogenital systems.
- Kills harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungi. This sweet liquor is a good disinfecting tool for the digestive system. And thanks to the cloves, we work for our oral hygiene, too (cloves is one of the best natural mouth bacteria killers). This healthy liquor is an acute immune booster. The containing Iodine can help us fight even chronic fungi infections. It also supports us when dealing with colds, the flu, sore throat, etc.
- Expels colon parasites – speaking of bacteria and viruses, Nocino helps us deal with other unwanted microorganisms in our bodies – parasites. There are some anti-parasite cleansing procedures, which include green walnut tincture and sweet liquors. So, Nocino is the perfect combo for the job! The exact methods will be described in detail in my next book.
If your thyroid is healthy and you want to get the most out of the Nocino benefits, take 1 tsp. 3 times a day before meals. If you wish to take it as an aperitif, drink it sporadically in small dosages. Another excellent option is to use it as a sweet dressing to your healthy desserts. Yummy!
Very important notice! Nocino contains large amounts of Iodine. Anyone who has any type of problems with the thyroid should be very careful with this drink. If you have hypothyroidism, this liquor may even help you, but consult with your physician first! This rule applies for those who have relatives, especially parents or grandparents with any thyroid diseases. In that case, it is advisable for you to check your gland and consult with your doctor about taking this liquid.
If you liked this article and found it helpful, share it, send it to someone who might also benefit from it, or leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts on the matter!