This post contains affiliate links! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read our full affiliate disclosure HERE.
The information I share in this blog is based on my personal experience, conclusions, observations and studies, or taken from books and educational materials, which are mentioned in the articles. I am not a medical professional, nor a health expert. Before implementing any of the information shared in this blog, consult with your physician or nutritionist!
Homemade Disinfectant Recipes (DIY Disinfectant Ideas)
And, in my opinion, that’s one of the important lessons we need to learn right now – the significance of keeping our hands and faces clean, to protect one another during a viral outbreak, and to work on building our natural immunity the whole year! If you are interested in this topic, I have a ton of articles to get you started right now, as well as a whole book on the subject!
If we can keep these healthy habits during every flu season, this would save a lot of lives!
So, I decided to share a couple of DIY disinfectant options to help you keep your hands clean during this hard period of time!
Some of these will be alcohol based as advised by the World Health Organization (due to the severity of this current virus), and others will contain essential oils which should be applied with caution as well (more about that – a bit later)!
Why create your own hand sanitizer?
I am sharing these recipes today for a couple of reasons:
- Most people started panic-buying lots of products in bulk, including hand sanitizers which led to shortages;
- As a result of the previous point and with the help of market speculation, the prices of these hygienic products went up uncontrollably. So, in some cases, it would be cheaper and more affordable to make them on your own.
- You can control the ingredients and avoid applying unnecessary and potentially harmful agents (such as parabens);
- You can decrease your plastic waste by re-filling your containers with a fresh batch of your disinfectant (or use silicon-based ones).
Homemade antiseptic solution with alcohol
This is a very simple but powerful recipe you can easily make at home!
But first, a warning: please, follow all safety guidelines when working with and applying alcohol since it is extremely flammable! Do not place near a source of heat or direct sunlight! Do not smoke around the product and do not inhale the alcoholic fumes!
3 oz alcohol (approx. 80 ml) – the original recipe uses rubbing alcohol but believe it or not, most of our pharmacies are out of stock, so you can use whatever you have at your disposal – you can prepare your homemade disinfectant spray with vodka or spiritus lavandulae as well.
0.6 oz. water (approx. 20 ml) – it is important the liquid to be as clean as possible without any impurities. So, the options are to use distilled water, rose water, or in my case – clean water from a pitcher with a charcoal filter (saves me a lot of money).
To make a simple DIY disinfectant room spray, you simply need to dilute the alcohol with the water in a spray bottle, and shake well before each use!
This is perfect for sterilizing the air which may contain any bacteria or viruses floating around, cleaning surfaces such as door handles, phones, wallets, bags, the soles of the shoes, the floors (if they are alcohol resistant), etc.
To turn this into a hand sanitizer, you can just add some glycerin to the mixture, blend it well by shaking vigorously, and that’s it! Glycerin is a powerful skin nourishing component for extremely dry hands!
Still, if this is not enough, make sure you moisturize and take a good care of your derma as soon as you get home. I have a ton of DIY recipes and some of them are specifically designed for intense hand care – for mature skin, for people who need to sterilize and wash hands often, for hard labor workers with cracked skin, etc. Apply these homemade hand cremes often and before going to sleep with a pair of nice cotton gloves and your skin will thank you!
Now, how to make homemade antiseptic cream?
The secret is using an emulsifier instead of (or in addition to) the glycerin. Here’s how it’s done!
Heat the water (0.6 oz) in a double boiler at medium heat.
Next, add the emulsifier and stir until it is fully melted.
Finally, add the alcohol and blend again.
Pour into a squeeze bottle, and leave it aside.
As soon as the mixture cools down, it will become creamy and easier to apply!
Easy peasy, right!
How to use this recipe to make homemade hand sanitizer wipes?
I know regular disinfecting wipes are very convenient and easy to use but some of them are not suitable for battling a viral outbreak (or just during a regular flu season). Some contain unhealthy substances, and they are not very good for the environment – most of them are not biodegradable and just add to the pile of trash we create!
So, here’s my suggestion!
Get some regular cotton handkerchiefs. Cut them into the desired size, if you need to.
Soak them in the alcoholic solution described above (with or without the glycerin).
Arrange and fold them into a neat wipe dispenser on the go, and keep it tightly sealed so the alcohol won’t evaporate! Here is a very helpful video you can check to see how to easily fold the wipes (starts at 0:30).
Remember: these are not baby wipes!
Also, it is a good idea to have a separate water-proof bag (or an eco friendly zip-lock bag) to keep the used wipes while you are still outside.
Once you get back home, re-cycle them by washing the cloths with hot water and ironing. They are ready for your next batch of homemade antibacterial hand wipes!
DIY Hand Sanitizing Gel with Aloe Vera
Warning: this recipe contains essential oils!
Please, use all safety measures when applying these components, such as:
- test for allergies each oil or a new brand;
- if a certain essential oil causes you any irritation, stop using it immediately and consult with a doctor;
- do not apply on skin in large quantities undiluted;
- keep off the eyes and the mucosa;
- do not use on young children before consulting with a doctor or an aromatherapist;
- do not apply during pregnancy before consulting with a doctor or an aromatherapist;
- do not ingest;
- use only high quality organic essential oils and avoid the synthetic knockoffs.
1.5 oz. (approx. 50 ml) Aloe Vera gel
3.5 oz. (approx. 100 ml) Alcohol (rubbing alcohol, vodka, etc.)
The preparation is very simple!
Shake well before use!
Mentioning the use of essential oils and their disinfecting properties, reminds me of an old recipe called the 5 thieves oil recipe (also known as the 4 thieves oil).
The legend goes back to the Middle Ages during the black plague epidemic. A group of thieves decided to loot the homes of the people who died from the Black Death. No one would even come close to their homes out of fear of contamination. But these sly foxes were former spice merchants and knew all about the wonderful healing and disinfecting properties of essential oils. So, they created a blend that would keep them from catching the plague.
Here is the recipe itself:
Thieves Oil Hand Sanitizer DIY Recipe
40 drops cloves essential oil
35 drops lemon essential oil*
20 drops cinnamon essential oil*
15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops rosemary essential oil
Note: the original recipe contains lemon oil, but remember that citrus essential oils may cause unwanted pigmentation when the skin is exposed to sun light. So, feel free to skip it if you intend to use this recipe when going outside, especially during the summer.
Also, cinnamon essential oil is a powerful substance which stimulates the blood flow and cause skin flushing. Use with caution and lower the amount, if your skin is too sensitive!
Mix all essential oils in a dark glass bottle. If you have one with a droplet, even better.
Dilute 6-12 drops of the blend with 2 Tbsps. carrier oil, stir nicely, and the mixture is ready.
That’s all for now! I hope you liked these recipes, and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!
Remember to start boosting your immune system in addition to using your homemade disinfectant recipes! Check out my “Build Your Immune System Fast: Proven Immune Boosters, Healthy Anti-Cancer Recipes, Homeopathic Remedies, Probiotic Yogurt Recipes, Herbal Tea, and more” book!
– Healthy gut – healthy you! How to take care of our beneficial colon bacteria?
– Natural probiotics and prebiotics – how to make them at home with natural ingredients?
– Adaptogens for a strong immune system– the key to dealing with stress, infertility and building our strong immunity.
– Which bee products are best for our defense system and how to use them to their maximum benefit?
– Natural ways and systems to prevent, stop and heal from cancer cell formation.
– Loads of delicious immune boosting recipes and remedies.
– The best herbs, essential oils and homeopathic remedies to prevent diseases, viruses, fungi, and bacteria.
– much more…
Stay tuned for more!
Until next time!
- Perimenopause and Herbs (Perimenopause Herbal Tea Remedies) - September 17, 2020
- Phalaenopsis Orchids Plant Care Guide (Phalaenopsis Care for Beginners) - September 15, 2020
- Manifestation During Lunar Eclipse (Demanifestation Ritual) - September 10, 2020