This post contains affiliate links! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read our full affiliate disclosure HERE.
The information I share in this blog is based on my personal experience, conclusions, observations and studies, or taken from books and educational materials, which are mentioned in the articles. I am not a medical professional, nor a health expert. Before implementing any of the information shared in this blog, consult with your physician or nutritionist!
The Amazing Turmeric Benefits for Women and Men
Turmeric is an Asian plant mostly popular for its edible roots and their amazing benefits for the human body. The herb is traditionally called Indian saffron for its deep yellow-orange color which is very similar to the saffron’s. You may have heard of turmeric as a typical Indian spice (also being part of the aromatic curry mix) but it is also commonly used a natural textile and food dye, and it serves double duty as a powerful medicinal herb with multiple beneficial purposes. The rhizome has a distinct interesting spicy and a slightly bitter taste, but its aroma is soft, reminding us of the one of orange and ginger (turmeric and ginger are quite similar both in terms of their appearance but in their health benefits as well!).
Contents and active substances
Since today’s topic is the turmeric benefits for women and men, we need to pay special attention to the active substances of this magnificent rhizome which give its wonderful healing properties!
Different varieties of turmeric have slightly different colors but this is not directly related to their quality. They all contain the special main ingredient called curcumin (that is why here in Bulgarian we call this plant kurkuma or curcuma which comes from its Latin name Curcuma longa).
One very important thing to remember about this plant is that it is not allergenic and does not contain any goitrogens (natural substances found in some foods which suppress the functions of the thyroid), oxalates (also natural compounds usually found in leafy green vegetables which contribute to the formations of kidney stones) and purines (chemicals which are usually part of most animal products and are contraindicated for people with gout and high levels of uric acid).
Turmeric is also an excellent source of some essential elements like Iron, Manganese, Phosphorus, and Iodine.
It also contains valuable vitamins such as vitamin C, Betaine (trimethylglycine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6 (pyridoxine), and more. Other beneficial substances in turmeric are the antioxidants, which neutralize the free radicals preventing premature aging, and some vital amino acids like Aspartic acid, Glutamine (not to be confused with gluten), Leucine, Valin, and many more!
What does curcumin do for you?
- Turmeric as an anti-inflammatory remedy
This is probably the most popular usage of this yellowish rhizome as a medicinal plant – the containing curcumin and some volatile oils have shown strong anti-inflammatory properties in almost all parts of our bodies. Given the proper dosages, the effects may even be more powerful than what some pharmaceutical products provide! That is why turmeric is the number one natural remedy for rheumatoid arthritis and its negative symptoms (joint pain, swelling, immobility, etc.) You can check all my top scientifically proven medicinal spices and herbs for body inflammation in the following article => 13+ Natural Anti Inflammatory Herbs and Homeopathic Remedies
People suffering from all kinds of gastrointestinal ailments (such as Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome) can greatly benefit from taking turmeric extracts for their powerful anti-inflammatory effects. Plus, curcumin can also support the successful remission long after the painful symptoms have subsided!
- Curcumin as a natural analgesic
This powerful traditional Indian root also provides substantial pain relief regardless of the source – arthritic pain, post-surgery discomforts, traumas, burns, herniated discs (plus, it also helps with the subsequent inflammation of the spinal nerve endings. You can check my suggestions for treating bulged disks naturally in the following article => How to Deal with a Herniated Disk (Part 1) ) If the turmeric extract is combined with piperine for better absorption in the intestines, the analgesic effect may even be greater than the one of the popular synthetic medication Paracetamol!
- Benefits for the cardio-vascular system
This beautiful and multifunctional edible root also has shown some slight improvement of the levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) in the body (decreasing it). The level of CRP is an important metric which gives us valuable information about any possible chronic inflammation in the body due to various ailments and conditions, such as the development of atherosclerotic plaques in the arteries (which show increased risks of having a heart attack or a stroke). In other words, regular consumption of turmeric or curcumin supplements (after a consultation with a doctor) may be a wonderful preventive tool for the whole cardio-vascular system!
Also, in cases of high cholesterol and triglycerides, turmeric can also be of assistance in decreasing their levels, especially if combined with a proper diet plan prescribed by a professional, a suitable workout routine, and some Omega 3 fatty acids supplements, and probably some aromatic herbal blend to start your day right! This combination will give your cardio-vascular system a great boost, lower the “bad” LDL cholesterol, and stimulate the production of the “good” HDL type!
Another benefit for the heart is the ability of turmeric to increase the concentration of Nitrogen oxide in the blood vessels’ walls. This compound is known to dilate the arteries and thus lowering the blood pressure and preventing from the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.
- Turmeric as an antioxidant
Curcuma longa also has shown promising results in improving the activity of antioxidant enzymes. This not only has a wonderful beautifying effect on our skin and connective tissues, but also works as the perfect natural anti-cancer remedy in the long run (especially for lowering the risks of developing colon and prostate cancer)!
As mentioned previously, turmeric has the ability to dilate the blood vessels and this has an interesting side effect – the increased blood circulation and the nourishment of all body tissues. This might have a wonderful revitalizing and anti-aging effect in all areas – the skin, joints, the brain, the connective tissues, etc.
- Benefits for the mental health
Turmeric is not just for the body, but also for our minds and the biochemical balance in the brain which regulate our mood and our overall mental health. Regular long-term administration of curcumin extract can have a mild positive effect in treating some cases of depression and anxiety. The rhizome is also beneficial for protecting the brain against age-related deterioration, dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease!
- Turmeric benefits for weight loss
There is a direct link between our sensitivity towards insulin (and the insulin secretion in general) and weight management. Thankfully, turmeric can help us in this area as well – curcumin is proven to not only increase our insulin sensitivity and thus help us battle the metabolic syndrome which is the final step before diabetes type 2, but also it stimulates the insulin secretion itself! This makes this amazing Indian rhizome a powerful ally for everyone with blood sugar level and excessive weight gain issues. But please remember to consult with your physician before applying this natural remedy and combine with a proper diet plan and an exercise routine for best results!
Psst! Speaking of weight-loss and blood sugar management, I have just the thing for you! My take on the LCHF diet plan for women – one of the best regimens that not only helps you shed the extra fat without starving yourself to death, but also helps you with the management of the metabolic syndrome and insulin sensitivity! Grab the book right HERE => The Energy Boosting LCHF Diet Plan
Turmeric is perfect for detoxifying and blood purification, boosting the function of the liver, and we all know that our largest internal organ is a key component in the process of nutrient absorption and the metabolism! You can learn more about my favorite easy liver detox process HERE => 12 Day Liver Detox Diet Plan (Liver Healing Herbs and Foods)
Plus, all my cleansing rituals for the whole body are described in detail in my ultimate collection Complete Body Cleansing and Strong Immunity Bundle.
- Curcuma longa for the skin
If you have blemished skin or any kind of skin ailment, you can make a simple anti-inflammatory remedy. Just mix some turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste consistency, and apply on the problematic area of the skin. If the paste is too potent for your derma and you experience any unwanted symptoms, wash off the paste immediately.
- Other possible benefits of curcumin for women and men
Here a couple of possible positive effects of taking turmeric regularly which have been seen in some laboratory tests. These are yet to be confirmed or disproved with real time researches with human subjects.
- Blood coagulation – turmeric may decrease the so called “platelet aggregation” (blood thinning). This is one of the main risks of taking large doses of this herb – the increased chances of hemorrhages, especially if combined with other blood thinning medications (like Aspirin).
- Heart tissue – the Indian rhizome may prevent the heart enlargement as a result of chronic hypertension.
- Diabetic angiopathy – regular administration of turmeric may have a positive effect on the blood vessels and decrease the damage as a result of chronic diabetes.
- Diabetic nephropathy – curcuma longa may assist with the reduction of the kidney damage and proteinuria (proteins in the urine) in diabetic patients.
How much turmeric curcumin should I take per day?
Before I share the recommended dosages, here’s something very important you need to know!
Turmeric powder is not very easily absorbed by our gastro-intestinal tract. This means that no matter how much we take from this awesome rhizome, the health effects would be minimal.
That is why we will be using a little hack by adding a special component – black pepper. Ground pepper contains a special chemical called piperine which drastically increases the absorption of turmeric and boosts its effectiveness tremendously! So, if you intend on adding more curcumin to your diet plan, just add a bit of pepper as well.
The recommended ratio is one teaspoon turmeric powder to one large pinch of pepper.
Another important tip when adding this amazing Indian herb is combining it with some form of fat. The active substance curcumin is fat-soluble just like the other essential vitamins (K,A,D, and E) and it would be impossible to take advantage of this healing spice without the existence of enough healthy fats in your diet!
That is why the natural Indian folk medicine Ayurveda suggests we make the so called Golden milk which contains enough fat through the milk as the main ingredient! You can find the recipe in my FREE recipe ebooks on the topic of health, wellness, and natural immunity!
Now the dosages:
It is best to consume between 2 and 4 grams of turmeric powder daily combined with ground pepper.
If you prefer taking supplements for more convenience, follow the instructions and your doctor’s prescription, but the usual dosage is between 500 and 2000 mg extract per day.
Side effects and precautions
Turmeric may be a wonderful natural healing food, but that does not make it completely safe for everyone and in unlimited amounts! The active substance curcumin is a powerful agent which may not be suitable for some people with certain health conditions.
That is you should always consult with your doctor before using a new supplement or a natural remedy to your daily routines or in case of a radical changes in your diet plan!
But first, here are some side effects which you may experience if you take turmeric regularly in large dosages:
- Gastro-intestinal discomforts such as flatulence, nausea, bloating, diarrhea, yellowish stools, etc.
- Higher risks of excessive bleeding and hemorrhages due to the blood thinning effects of turmeric.
- Increased levels of the liver enzymes (ALAT and ASAT) – make sure you do your regular blood tests and in case of any abnormal values, consult with your physician as soon as possible!
- Increased contractions of the bladder and the uterus in pregnant women – that is why turmeric is not recommended after conception.
- Skin issues – if applied topically and in cases of sensitivity to curcumin, turmeric may cause skin irritation, eczemas or dermatitis. Test your tolerance little by little and in case of an allergy or irritation, consult with your doctor!
So, as a recap of the health risks of taking Curcuma longa, here is a short list of people who should not take this supplement:
- Those who take any blood thinning medications and/or vasodilators (chemicals which dilate the blood vessels, even natural ones like Gingko Biloba), and people who are due for a surgery because of the risk of excessive bleeding;
- People with gallbladder ailments (like gallstone disease, gallbladder dyskinesia), stomach reflux, hemorrhagic diathesis, etc;
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women;
- Small children under the age of 2 and apply turmeric only after consultation with a pediatrician and under close surveillance for kids under the age of 5.
- People with an allergy towards this rhizome and its active compounds.
Turmeric supplements and convenient products
- Turmeric powder – this is usually the most common turmeric product which is present in almost every kitchen – it is easily accessible and convenient to use in a wide variety of recipes and natural remedies (such as the golden milk I mentioned previously, the recipe is in the freebies HERE). Remember to combine it with black pepper and some good fat!
- Golden Milk Powder – since I already reminded you of the magic of Golden milk, here is something that might be a life saver if you decide to add to your daily healthy routines – a ready-made combination of all the ingredients of the recipe in a convenient form. The product not only has the recommended minimum compounds of turmeric and pepper, but also has some amazing healing spices like cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger for the ultimate aromatic experience!
- Turmeric Curcumin Softgels – this is an even more convenient variation in the form of softgels which can be easily administered with (or after) a meal and you don’t have to worry about the absorption of the active substance! As you may remember from the information above, the problem with turmeric is not so much the quantity, but our ability to absorb this nutrient in our intestines. And thankfully, the product uses a state-of-the-art technology which drastically increases the effectiveness of the curcumin.
- Qunol Liquid Turmeric Curcumin with Black Pepper – this is a wonderful way to take advantage of the turmeric juice benefits in a convenient liquid form. If you are not a fan of all the hassle of using turmeric powder (which sometimes can stain our clothes and surfaces) and you do not like swallowing pills, this amazing turmeric extract is just for you! It is thoughtfully combined with black pepper for better absorption and best of all – it is nicely flavored with the aromatic tropical orange for the ultimate tasty experience (well, we must agree that turmeric does not taste that good on its own).
- Youtheory Turmeric Extra Strength Formula Capsules – this is a very simple combination of the all the essentials you need to take advantage of the amazing turmeric benefits for the whole body – curcumin extract and piperine – all compacted in a small capsule which is very easy to take with some liquid! This product “helps support your body’s response to inflammation acts as a powerful antioxidant delivers 20 times more curcuminoids than the average turmeric powder with patented Curcumin C3 Complex” as described by the producer!
Detox for Rheumatoid Arthritis Inflammation
The Arthritis and Rheumatism Diet Plan (Part 1)
19+ Best Herbs for a Slow Metabolism (Metabolism Boosting Herbs and Spices)
13+ Natural Anti Inflammatory Herbs and Homeopathic Remedies
Healing Potion for Rejuvenation
Slimming During Menopause (Menostasis Weight Management)
If you were interested in turmeric’s detox benefits, you can check my complete detoxing bible “Complete Body Cleansing and Strong Immunity Bundle“!
Because you want to feel good instantly!
Are weight-loss and health always on your list of New Year’s resolutions? Then listen up!
Here’s everything you need to know to start cleansing your precious body and building a strong immune system FAST!
“Complete Body Cleansing and Strong Immunity Bundle” is your ultimate healthy living bible with EXCLUSIVE detox recipes that will get you the RESULTS YOU DESIRE!
Uncover the surprising breakthrough wellness habits, building a powerful immune system tactics, and deep cleansing and healing methods for achieving optimal weight, health, and happiness!
Discover everything you need to know to jump-start your health and wellness journey!
Book 4 of the Healthy Detox and Strong Immunity Series will show you some hidden gems like:
=> Quick and yummy healthy recipes with nutritious ingredients.
=> Plenty of toning, refreshing, and cleansing smoothie recipes!
=> Detoxing and strengthening aromatic herbal blends!
=> Daily mini healthy habits, which will gently start your colon cleanse, and heal or prevent from constipation;
=> Deep powerful detoxing methods on a monthly and yearly basis;
=> The best gut healing methods to strengthen your immune system;
=> Countless recipes and natural remedies that boost our defense system;
=> and so much more!
Start transforming your life TODAY with “Complete Body Cleansing and Strong Immunity Bundle“!
Stay tuned for more health articles and recipes!
‘Till next time!
- What Foods Help Herniated Discs (Bulged Disk Nutrition) - June 5, 2021
- 40+ Great Gifts for Virgo Man (Best Gift Ideas for Virgo Male) - May 20, 2021
- What is 10th House Lord in Seventh House in Astrology? - April 23, 2021